Wednesday, February 3, 2010

A birthday divination reading at Candlemas

In the witches calendar, I understand that Candlemas is the time of initiation, of divination and of celebration for the light returning into our lives. February 2 or Candlemas is also the time when the greens gathered at Yule are released into the holy fire.

Because my birthday falls near Candlemas, I conduct a birthday divination reading to give me insight into my intention for the coming year. On Candlemas evening I sit with a small candle that has been greeted and blessed to its purpose with my breath and the energy of my hands. After inviting fire to come alive in my presence I sit in meditation with the candle flame until at last the wick wavers and the creature of fire dies. When the flame extinguishes, there is a tiny puff of smoke. All of my waiting is for this moment. In this instant I hear a phrase or word and understand that this is my intention for the coming year. This Candlemas, after the smoke, I wrote “For this year I come home.”

I then went to the Journey Oracle divination deck with this question: “What takes me away from home?” In this card I see a face with calm and staring eyes—eyes that seem devoid of expression. I wonder if a lack of feeling takes me away. I see this face floating in pools of radiant light, flowing like a hook reaching into the void, curling into the center, growing from a mossy root. I read the oracle question: Is there another way to get there? I ask, “Get where?" I turn the card over and read Next Steps. I see a face like in an old tree made of bark patterns. There is a goofy smile and friendly open eyes. The face feels kindly. I want to smile back. I think there is not another place to be but where I already am. I am home. Maybe my next step is to believe it.