Thursday, February 6, 2014

Achieving self-mastery

My birthday was several days ago, and at the beginning of my year I like to do a reading using the Destiny Cards, by Robert Lee Camp.  Even though I have created an Oracle deck and refer to Journey Oracle readings often, I also like to receive the perspective of other systems of intuitive wisdom. I noticed that this year my "Pluto" card is the King of Spades. Pluto represents what I want to accomplish or learn to deal with this year that will likely be challenging in some way.  The Spade King is the highest card in the deck and represents self-mastery in all its many guises.

Years ago I read about 4 powers, and found myself thinking about these in relation to achieving self-mastery.  Because I have worked to master painting with acrylics for my entire adult life, I decided to explore these powers in four paintings, each one representing a path to achieving self-mastery.


This painting titled Altar is to me an example of the power to know.  Photodependent realism means to me that every nuance of surface and shadow is included in the process of painting.  Nothing is left out and nothing is given more than its original significance.  Self-mastery begins with knowing that is as complete as possible for its own sake, grounded in the value of humble observation.



This work titled Farewell to the Desert epitomizes for me the power to act.   Much of the drama of the image is held in the tension between the image and the title of the painting.  There are stories here that glimmer with possibilities and variations.  My story contained in the painting is indeed the act of leaving the desert and my days as a student of Martin Prechtel.  Self-mastery is action and also the remembering and honouring of the history of the many actions that deliver one to this present moment.


This work titled Taking Mother Out to Tea is the result of the power to dare.   A peculiar symbol-filled view of a awkwardly alien landscape requires taking a chance.  Self-mastery means being responsible for one's choices and their outcomes, which is using true power and authority.


The fourth power is the power to keep silence. To my understanding this painting titled Touching Trees is an image of the silence we are asked to keep in the presence of great mystery.  It is not my place as the artist to explain away the power of the forms that present themselves.   The source image of the bottom two thirds of the painting was in a small wood chip I carried in my pocket while spending a year touching tree stumps in a clear cut with a fingerprint of red ochre.  Self-mastery is the ability to value the wisdom of humility; to understand that everything alive has meaning.


There is a second silence held with self-mastery.  This is the power to keep silence in the presence of knowledge, experience and perceptions that cannot be spoken.  Perhaps the greatest self-mastery of all is the willingness to let the self disappear in the service of the Holy.