Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Ask Nature for shamanic lessons


When I was first asking Nature to show me Her shamanic ways while I was teaching at the Nova Scotia College of Art and Design--doing what I thought of as "going to Nature School"--a student gave me a small twist of dried plant and said it was sweetgrass.  I searched in wild places until I found what I thought was more.  I braided and dried it, prayed to it and with it, hoarded its preciousness in my untutored ceremonies until all that remained was a small twist. 


One day I shyly unwrapped it for a First Nations friend who said he had never seen swamp wire grass treated so reverently and asked, “Is this plant a spirit ally of yours?”


At first I felt ashamed for my ignorance, and then I felt shamed before the plant.  Did not the sunshine and rain fall on one as much as on the other?  How could I now devalue what I had so honoured?


“Yes,” I said, “this is my teacher.”  This has been my relationship with nature ever since.  No one creature is better than another.  Each one is the perfect teacher of its unique qualities. 


This mentoring of attention, valuing, discipline and the training of vision without judgment became the shamanic lessons that led me to the creation of the Journey Oracle cards.