Monday, February 20, 2017

Dream interpretation with Journey Oracle cards

I have always thought the Journey Oracle divination deck would help with dream interpretation.  I woke this morning with a sense of frustration from a dream, thinking, "what was that about?"


The Dream
I am needing to get to my car but to do so it is necessary to walk a path through the woods.  I have borrowed a friend's car to get this far, but once I walk the path to my car, I will be unable to return her car.  I am very frustrated at not being able to figure out how to do this.  I am aware there is a time pressure.  While I have enough time now to retrieve my car, the clock is ticking and soon enough I will be out of time.  I spend some time trying to call my friend but realize I am looking under the wrong alphabet letter for her last name in the phone book.  Finally it is too late to walk the path through the woods. 

I am going to try to interpret this dream using the oracle cards.  The Journey Oracle deck asks me to draw four cards to make a reading.  These cards represent the situation, the experience I am having in the situation, the change trying to come, and the resolution of the situation.
When I apply these four aspects to the dream, this is what I understand.

The situation:  I need to return to what enables me to move but to do so I must walk a path into something not easy to see through. To get this far I have had a friend's help, but now I have a dilemma.
The experience:  I feel frustrated at not being able to resolve the dilemma of how to get where I need to go, and return what belongs to my friend, at the same time.
Change:  I need to change where I am looking for the solution to the frustration.
The resolution: There is no resolution because there is no more time available for how I am trying to figure out the dilemma.


Although this separating of the dream parts into the Journey Oracle reading categories provides some interesting phrases: "I must walk a path into something not easy to see through," and "I need to change where I am looking for the solution,"  these phrases do not really tell me what the dream is about. So I am asking the Journey Oracle for insight into this larger question.


This is the oracle card of my situation: I am a baby deer, surrounded and suffused with the color red.  Although many dream dictionaries describe red as passionate and angry, I am struck by the additional meaning of this color: loss of energy, "loss of blood."  What situation in my life is young and lying down, like a baby deer, experiencing a loss of energy?  Promoting the Journey Oracle deck.  I have been struggling with the dilemma of how  to advertise my oracle cards.  So far I just seem to spend money without results. Certainly trying to figure out what to do is like walking into the woods and not having a clear view of what's ahead.


This oracle card represents the experience of my frustration at not being able to solve the dilemma in the dream.  The brown fog catches my attention, I read that the color brown in a dream can mean seeking physical comforts through food and sleep.  It can also mean being humble and compromising.   I now think the friend's car is my friend Ann Mortifee's publishing house: Eskova Publications.   Ann is the one who used her way of moving to publish the Journey Oracle so it could move out into the world.  Is the difference between Ann's way of moving, and mine, the difference between energized confidence, and seeking to be comfortable and feeling humble?


This oracle card is an image of the change of direction I need to make when looking for a solution.
This dancer is dramatic, male, surrounded by orange and filled with yellow. Wow.  This website description of these two colors really sparks my insight of this dream.

  1. What does the color Orange mean in dreams? The feeling of shaking off shackles, widening one’s sphere of influence, restlessness, driven by desires and hopes, wanting more contact with others.
  2. Yellow in dreams– Yellow color in dreams might indicate: seeking solution, feeling hope about the future, trying to find out a way of certain circumstances or situations, needing a change for relief.

Feeling hope about the future.  Finding a way out of a situation by widening one's sphere of influence and wanting more contact with others.  This is certainly advice for a change of direction.


This oracle card is a representation of the resolution to this situation.  The face looks old, the eyes are looking in two directions, the figure is colored pink and surrounded again by red and yellow.  Pink is a combination of red and white and so takes its meaning from both.  The red can represent a lust for action, and the white success and insight.  The positive aspects of pink are hope, warmth and receiving comforting feelings. The negative side of pink may represent a lack of will-power and self-esteem.

The eyes looking in two directions,combined with the positive or negative meanings reinforce my sense that the resolution to this situation involves a choice.  Believe everything is going well and take action based on this belief, or be cautious due to a lack of self-confidence.

Just as I finished this reading, I discovered I sold a Journey Oracle deck in my Etsy webstore. What a great confirmation that everything is going well!  I choose this.

Try this reading with your own Journey Oracle deck.
1. Write out the dream you want to work with.
2. Identify the four aspects in the dream that correspond to the four cards in a Journey Oracle reading.
3. Draw 4 cards to match these aspects.
4. Pay particular attention to the first card, the situation, as how you describe this card will help you understand what the dream is about.
5. Focus mainly on the images of the cards, and the colors you see, to interpret your dream's meaning.